Loaves of delicious bread are perfect for dessert, as gifts, or sliced and packed into a lunch for a sweet surprise. Bake a few loaves in upright heart-shaped canapé pans for a lovely Valentine’s Day treat. Frosted or plain, this Chocolate Cherry Banana Bread will become a new favorite for your family.
You can use a capape pan to bake it into a heart shape. If you don’t have one, you can pick one up inexpensively at amazon: Canape Bread Set
Chocolate Cherry Banana Bread
Makes 2 standard loaves or 3 canapé loaves
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1 teaspoon salt
14 maraschino cherries
2 large ripe bananas
1 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare pans by spraying thoroughly with an oil/flour mixture, or by generously greasing with shortening. If you are using canapé pans, place foil over the bottom openings and fit the pans into their metal bases. For more stability, set the pans on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, chocolate chips, and salt.
- Chop the cherries into small pieces and roll them up in a paper towel. Squeeze firmly to remove excess juice. Add the cherry pieces to the dry mixture and stir until coated.
- In a medium bowl, mix the bananas and eggs together with an electric mixer until creamy. (Small lumps of banana are okay.)
- Add the vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla to the banana mixture and mix well. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Spoon evenly into prepared pans. If you are using canapé pans, fill them a little over half full.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes. To test loaves for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center; it should come out clean. For the canapé pans, you will need to use a long wooden skewer.
- Allow to cool in the pans on a rack for 20 minutes, and then turn out to cool completely.
If desired, add maraschino cherry juice to powdered sugar for a simple icing. Ice the loaves and chill before slicing.
If you’re looking for more chocolate treats, check my friend Jenny’s blog for her delicious homemade Krispy treats made from chocolate and peanut butter!