Soup is a wonderful meal any time of year. :bowl: Having a few easy soup recipes for kids on hand helps when you’re looking for something different to make. Add some whole wheat crackers or a loaf of Italian bread, and you have a great lunch or dinner. For a more filling meal, add grilled cheese sandwiches or a tossed salad. :)
6 cups of broth
1 cup cooked chicken
1 cup uncooked rice
1 3/4 cup fresh chopped vegetables (such as potatoes, carrots, celery, or cabbage)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon dried parsley
1. Use leftover cooked chicken, or cook enough chicken to make 1 cup of chicken pieces.
2. Place the cooked chicken in a large saucepan.
3. Add the broth and uncooked rice. Cover the pan.
4. Bring the broth and rice to a boil.
5. Cover the pan, and turn the heat to low.
6. Stir and simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Add the chopped onions, chopped vegetables, and seasonings.
8. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Macaroni Chick-Pea Soup
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1 3/4 cup dry macaroni
1/2 teaspoon celery flakes or onion powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 cup stewed tomatoes
1 cup green beans
1 can chick-peas (garbanzo beans)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1. In a large saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add macaroni, celery flakes, and oregano. Simmer 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add stewed tomatoes, green beans, chick-peas (drained), and garlic powder. Simmer 5 minutes, or until macaroni and beans are tender.
Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
6 cups water
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 2 Tablespoons dried parsley (optional)
2 teaspoons beef bouillon or 2 cubes beef bouillon
1 1/2 cups dry lentils
2 medium sliced carrots
1 medium chopped onion
2 sliced celery stalks
1. Mix all ingredients together in slow cooker.
2. Cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
Vegetable Cheese Soup
(this is one of our readers favorite kids soup recipes)
2 cups water
3 cups chopped mixed vegetables, fresh or frozen
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
1 cup dry milk, nonfat
1 cup water
1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup Swiss cheese – cut into small pieces
1. Bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add vegetables, onions, salt and curry powder. Cook, covered, until almost tender.
2. Mix dry milk, 1 cup water and cornstarch together. Add to partially cooked vegetables.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until thickened.
4. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add more water if too thick.
(another favorite soup for kids)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
6 diced potatoes
2 Tablespoons margarine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup nonfat dry milk
3 cups water
2 Tablespoons flour
1. Peel and chop the onion.
2. Chop the celery.
3. Peel the potatoes, and cut them into small cubes.
4. Melt the margarine in a large saucepan on low heat.
5. Add the onion and celery. Cook for a few minutes.
6. Add the potatoes, salt, pepper and 1 1/2 cups water.
7. Cook for 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
8. In a small bowl, stir together the dry milk and flour.
9. Add 1 1/2 cups water slowly, stirring as you add it.
10. Add the milk mix to the potatoes.
11. Cook until the soup is heated and slightly thickened.
12. Adjust the seasonings.
If you have any soup recipes for kids to submit, please add them in a comment below.